Don't Let Your Guard Down


A few weeks back I met a friend, and was just amazed that after not seeing each other for quite some time---ten years at least, he still recognized me and was the first one to call my attention. I was a bit embarrassed because, at the back of my head somehow, I could not recall his name. But he politely, reintroduced himself. More so, he still recalled how I was referred to in the old days.


Anyway, it was just a short exchange of kind words, as well as phone numbers. One thing that struck me though was that he made mention about a possible business venture that we both could pursue in the near future. He was genuinely interested in it and he even emphasized to me several points like:


  • the business aspect of it is kinda new;

  • he's still trying to verify the authenticity of the business;

  • he'll let me know as soon as he makes up his mind about the biz.

I gladly thank him for the meeting and kept his number for future reference.


When I got home and recalled the meeting I was just pleasantly touched at how people really value friendship. So somehow, that impression sunk in my head and made me trust him so much.


A few weeks later, he gave me a call, informing me that indeed the business opportunity is good and that he himself has invested in it already. He invited me to meet with somebody who can give me a better insight on the business.


I accepted the invitation with both enthusiasm and excitement. All along anyway, I was just kind of going with the flow and was just being open to anything. So, to make the story short, after meeting with that somebody, I myself invested a huge amount, to be part of the business venture, and to possibly benefit from the endless potentials of the business. Little did I know, that I was banking on thin air.


Only after I joined, that I realized the huge mistake that I just did. I literally volunteered myself to work for a business network, an MLM at that, that promises too much, and delivers nothing, unless you really work your ass off. Then maybe I should work my ass off! Not really!

If you knew that part of it, involved tricking other people into believing about a non-existent-so-called-better-life-after-you-join stuff, then you wouldn't even dare to do it. It's a mortal sin in the strictest sense! It's pushes people further into the pit.

Businesses of this sort almost always never run out of good marketing ploys, to convince you that this is it--the only chance you have in this lifetime to change the course of your life. Their marketing strategy involves putting you into an illogical state of mental frenzy--with all the promise of prosperity after you join. So if you are not careful, you end up spilling your hard-earned cash out of your pocket and right into their buckets.


And what do you get?


  • You get top-of-the-line crappy stuff ( stuff that you wouldn't even bother to buy even if it goes on sale)
  • You get more crappy stuff ( a card with a catch) so you too can sell more crappy stuff
  • You get headaches as you try to squeeze your head for strategies on how you can trick two more people( and hope they're dumber than you, to even realize it) just so you can keep the network growing and grow your business
  • You get even more headaches thinking about how you can possibly take back even just a portion of the amount that you invested

Now, I wonder how these people have the heart to fool other people into committing into their business, promising so-called endless benefits and returns! Of course they're driven--driven to earn no matter what! It's just scary to me, that these networking groups grandstand on technology and mobility to lure people to be part of a new business trend that involves the internet and SMS. And too much exaggeration really masks the reality of things.

I admit, I was being too careless when I invested my $300 worth of cash for nothing. I let my guard down, because I trusted my friend so much. For once, I didn't use my head to evaluate things first before making a decision.

I forgot that in this world:

  • it's the survival of the fittest;
  • there is no such thing as a free lunch;
  • some people are wolves wrapped in a lamb's clothing;
  • today's world is a "dog-eats-dog" world;

Of course I'm not blaming my friend for what happened. I know he just had to do what he has to do. He didn't even do the talking to convince me to join. The lapse was on my judgement because I didn't even weigh-in on the pros and cons! I just jumped in!

My disappointment lies solely on those that are running this business. They're grade A suckers! They'll suck the juice out of your pocket if you don't pay attention for a second. Watch out! They're still out there, and they're growing by the number each day, ready to wreck havoc into your life. They sell to you good promise of endless discounts on brand-named products with more promise of more brands to join them in the near future. And once you're there, you're all alone in the wilderness. You don't even get a decent return for your money's worth.

Many people got rich doing what they're doing in this kind of business. But I wonder if they're happy with what they're doing. They certainly hit you on your weak spot by promising you a better life, knowing that your judgement is impaired because you can only see one side of the coin. I mean there's no way to refute what they're saying unless you join! Right? And if you want to find out, then you pay! And that's how they pull you in. Who doesn't want to get rich? Who doesn't want a better life?

Everyone does. That I can certainly tell you. But I can also tell you that I just don't have the stomach for it. It's appalling! Earning through someone's disadvantage is just unacceptable. So I've decided to forget about the $300 that I threw away, and instead move on with my life. I know better things are coming my way.

The monetary loss I can live with, but the guilt I can't.

Now, I just try to think of it this way--some people are driven by curiosity. I am one of them. For my curiosity I paid a price. A high price at that!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destination Cebu: Learn the Language Overnight with the Easiest Visayan Language Tutorial There Is!

The Dilemma of the Times

The Year That Was…2009: Hello 2010!