Getting to the Bottom of Things...Duh

For the last few months I've been immersed into a really challenging situation. I started working for a job that entails talking to all kinds of people and making sure that their problem is taken care of.

I will be lying to say that the job didn't suck. Of course it did. One important requirement aside from having a good background in technical knowhow was the need for you to have good acting skills and a thick skin to be able to withstand the torture of talking to unhappy and at times really nasty people whose only goal was to have their issues resolved, be it relevant to their service or not--for free.

When I started, I know that my harder challenge would be being able to cope with the emotional trauma. I consider myself more technically inclined than most people, because technology really fascinates me. But on the other side, I am truly an emotional person who can't ignore nasty remarks from people who are unfortunately trashy.

The only other thing is we were constantly put under the microscope and our performance was weighted against metrics. We were easily converted into a value in digits--and that's all that mattered. If we met the requirement, or not we were mere a part of performance statistics on a company graph.

Along the way as I was giving myself the opportunity to succumb to the torture, and really see how far I can go. I realize that the job isn't even as rewarding as it promised. If I would have lasted a few more months--I probably would have seen a shrink just to be able to last every passing day.

Why suffer? Life is not about monetary accomplishments, instead life is a much bigger stage for bigger goals like doing what makes you happy and enjoying every moment of it. Life's greater passion is about being able to do the things that gives you a sense of belonging, fulfillment and an overall feeling of good sense.

If there was anything rewarding with going to work, it was the drive to the workplace which gave me a sense of quiet isolation, a feeling of serenity, an opportunity to connect to nature's beautiful landscape as I drive through the country roads. The destination wasn't that exciting. The workplace didn't even promote relationships with other peers. It's almost as if we were robots programmed to perform routines with the clock, almost surgically attached to our biological clock up to the last millisecond.

I am a good person and a smart one too, but I'm not good at playing a poker face. What you see is what you get.

For me life is meant to be enjoyed not just endured; savored not just survived; treasured not just tolerated.

In this hard economic times, don't feel helplessly enticed by the money trap. We all need finances to cope with the American life, but at the end of the day, the things that our hearts can hold, and not the things that we can see or touch is all that matters.

Look at you now. In a few years time, you'll save enough to afford a few luxuries in the modern world--like a regular visit to the shrink to treat your psychological disorder; and probably socialize with a bunch of other people in rehab to treat some overblown addiction like--ciggy; alcohol, drugs, food and more.

As for me, I'll keep enjoying raising my three beautiful daughters, making sure that no one will bully me again into thinking that I am nothing more than some figures on the metrics stats.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destination Cebu: Learn the Language Overnight with the Easiest Visayan Language Tutorial There Is!

The Dilemma of the Times

The Year That Was…2009: Hello 2010!