I Believe In Angels

What would you do if your car stalls right in a busy intersection just as when visibility is poor because it's past nine o'clock at night and you are in a dark-colored vehicle? Add to that the fact that you are not travelling alone, but you have your precious little children inside your car. You have your entire family with you.


You feel an inconceivable horror but you cannot panic because the lives of your family is in your hands. You restart the car hoping that it will be brought back to life and you can wheel your family to safety. As you click the key to start the car, still nothing happens. Now you are overcome with fear, as well as with the hope of all hopes that no vehicle goes blind-sighted and hit your car and injure your entire family that's inside your car. Right away, you think that your only chance of survival is to take everyone out of the car and take them to a safe spot, not minding if the car gets mangled up for as long as all the passengers are safe. But then the doors won't even open. Your car's electrical system just shut down completely, that even the hazard lights won't come on. You are there in the middle of the road with speeding cars, and nothing at your disposal to forewarn oncoming motorists that a stalled car with people inside is impossibly stuck in a highly dangerous predicament. The next few seconds ticks slowly for you as your odds of getting to safety slips out of your hands.


I'm so fond of my older sister. She's such a good person, one with a genuinely good heart. She's been through a lot of dangerous moments in her life, too, and all the time, someone was always there to save her from getting hurt.


I've been through tough times, too. I've been put in dangerous situations but somehow didn't end up tragic.


I used to say to my sister that our angels must have worked overtime all the time, because as we assess the dangerous situations that we've been through, there's always something unusual that happens first so that things and people will be brought in a spot exactly at the right moment.


Today, before we left my sister-in-law's house to go back to the hotel, I rearranged the children's car seats and that took about ten minutes because I had to put in three car seats, all in all. I insisted on doing it even if my husband was already urging me to get in the car and do it later.


Then as we headed for the hotel, we got lost and couldn't find the way to the interstate highway. It was unusual since we've been trekking the same route for a few instances already. We just missed one turn and that was it. We were going around in circles for about twenty minutes. My husband was already cursing behind his breath because he was going to miss his favorite TV show. I just kept quiet.
Oftentimes though, when things like this happen, I take it as a blessing--a blessing in disguise.


There are things that happen in our day to day lives that make us feel inconvenienced, annoyed or even betrayed but little do we know that those things happen to ward off something more disastrous that is coming our way.


And that's exactly what happened to us today. When I was so desperate to keep all of us out of harm's way right in a hopelessly dangerous situation, I took the driver's seat while my husband pushed the car from behind. But nothing happened to the car. It was beyond reincarnation. I couldn't even move the stick to shift it to neutral. It was a disaster.


I said, "Lord send your angels. Save us in this desperate situation." I jumped out of the car and was waving my hand, hoping to get some help, and right then and there, a guy driving a ten-wheeler truck spotted us, and took the extra mile to help us. He parked his truck to safety and came to rescue us. He helped my husband push the vehicle while I steered the longest and most dangerous left turn that I've made in my driving life. The left turn light was on red, but I have to take a chance since we were stuck in the middle of an intersection. As I steered I was hoping beyond all hopes that no speeding car would cross my way. I had to hold my breath. It was nerve-wrecking. But yeah, my angel was watching me, making it a point that when such happens that guy with the truck will be in that spot to help us; making it a point that at that time of night no speeding motorists would cross my path as I make a turn to safety; making it a point that we'll overcome the danger and come out of it with a shaken but grateful spirit.


And by the way, I wish to thank you, whoever you are. I never got the chance to thank you personally but I'll send my gratitude to you through my angels. May they come at your rescue when you need a helping hand too. Know that you didn't only save the lives of two people. You saved the lives of an entire family who was in the brink of being effaced from the earth's landscape.


Salamat.


I still have with me my prayer, PSALM 91. Again God kept true to His promise.


I believe in angels. I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destination Cebu: Learn the Language Overnight with the Easiest Visayan Language Tutorial There Is!

The Dilemma of the Times

The Year That Was…2009: Hello 2010!