My Second Chance At Life: Psalm 91

About fifteen years ago, I was caught in a tragic vehicular accident. It was in the summer of 1992. We were campaigning for one of the most heated local elections in our city's history. We went to the remote coastal areas in the city to campaign for the candidates whom we believed were fit to run the city and bring favorable change to our community. We didn't know much. We were young. But young as we were, we were high-spirited and full of promise that we will be able to effect change in our community, thus, without any compensation, we volunteered to campaign for our favored candidates and really sweat hard for them to have a landslide victory in our place.


Just like any other day, we were enthusiastic and cheerful as we headed to our destination for the day. One of the guys that I campaigned with, owned a top-down jiffy, and he came early to pick us up so we can reach our target area before noon time. I remember getting in the car, then getting off to get something that I forgot--my prayer--one that I carried with me all the time wherever I went. It was just a small piece of paper that bore my handwritten copy of PSALM 91 taken from the Holy Bible.

Psalm 91

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most Highwill rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,my God, in whom I trust."
3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snareand from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,and under his wings you will find refuge;his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,ten thousand at your right hand,but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyesand see the punishment of the wicked.
9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—even the LORD, who is my refuge-
10 then no harm will befall you,no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning youto guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;I will be with him in trouble,I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life will I satisfy himand show him my salvation."

Day in and day out, I made sure that I had this prayer with me, because wherever I went it gave me a promise of protection.


The day went as scheduled and as we headed home, around four in the afternoon, the driver of the jeep that we took tried to maneuver a steep and uphill climb on an unpaved road and lost control of the vehicle. The engine died and the vehicle lost its breaks and all four guys who were in that vehicle with me including the driver immediately jumped out of the vehicle for safety. Meanwhile, I was left in the vehicle as it backed its way downhill in just a matter of seconds. It happened so fast, almost lightning fast. It was scary, and I could hear my companions cried out for my name as the vehicle accelerated towards the cliff. I thought for a moment, "This is it. This is my last day on earth." I did think that if I jump off the vehicle, I will either break my head or get run over by the vehicle, so either way, I will die.


I turned my head and looked if there was anything behind me that can save the vehicle from falling off the cliff and prevent it from rolling down to the rocky shoreline below. All I saw was a little shrub, not even strong enough to barricade a bicycle to stall it. I was convinced then that nothing can stop the vehicle from going downhill. So I said out loud, "I will never see my Mama and Papa again nor any of my siblings. Lord, I entrust everything to you now."


The vehicle didn't stop. It went off the edge of the road and as it accelerated downhill there was no hope of ever saving my life as I succumb to the horrible fall down the cliff inside the vehicle. The instant the vehicle reached the edge of the road, I believed that I was dead. Then about ten meters below the edge of the road, a small piece of rock got in the way of one of the vehicle's tires. The impact caused the vehicle to roll on one side, broke the front windshield, spilled the gas and threw me a few feet away.


I really thought that I was dead, but I was still able to feel my body, so I quickly sensed that indeed I was still alive. I felt my head and I thought there was blood all over my head, but it was gas that spilled on me from the vehicle. I immediately moved away from the vehicle, afraid that it was going to explode, just like the way you see them in movies. Then I breathed hard and heaped a deep sigh of relief. I thank God that he saved me.


My colleagues came quickly to my rescue. They were all crying but were so grateful that the incident turned out differently. They were stunned. They couldn't believe their eyes, that something like that would still leave me alive. They all had deep wounds on their legs from hurdling the thorny bushes.


A passersby saw the car and the debris, and immediately called to report a tragic vehicular accident and declared that all passengers died basing on his judgement of how badly mangled the vehicle was.


When my mother got the news, she was crying hysterically. She really thought we were all dead.


After the incident I checked myself for wounds or broken bones. All I got was a half inch cut on my hand from the broken glass. My colleagues who were able to jump out of the car in time had more gash and bruises than I did.


I felt my pocket, and there was my prayer--PSALM 91. It lived out to be a true promise--a faithful promise by GOD to those who honor Him. Indeed God's angels came to hold me so my feet would not touch any of the stones.


After all these years, I am grateful for my second chance at life. I am grateful for so many things that would not have happened if I did meet my tragic end way back then.


I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Whatever the reason is for my second shot at life, I know it's a noble reason--a more profound reason--that I have to carry out and honor, the same way God honored his promise of protection and safety for me.


Up to this day, I still carry the same piece of paper. It's all worn-out but the promised contained in it is as strong and faithful as ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destination Cebu: Learn the Language Overnight with the Easiest Visayan Language Tutorial There Is!

The Dilemma of the Times

The Year That Was…2009: Hello 2010!